Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Art All Around

             Art is all around us. We do not necessary have to be in a place where a lot of great art is around. Nature is a great artist. Where else do artists or designers draw their inspiration from? The vibrant colours, the design on plants, animals and insects.
             I happen to be fortunate enough to get to live in the birthplace where plenty of great art was born. Florence - the cradle of the Renaissance.
             Here are my earlier sketches, during the first week in Florence. The weather was beautiful and everywhere I turned, I was immersed in the Renaissance architecture. These early sketches are without light and shadows, and the buildings look as if they have undergone some seismic activity. Also inclusion of a short text on the page wasn't that elegant as they seemed all over the place.

02.05.2012


        This was overlooking the buildings across the banks of the River Arno near Ponte Vecchio. I have only heard of paying extra for taking away due to the packaging the cafè provides. I guess there is a price for feasting your eyes on the view of the river. I am just thankful I did not have to pay for the air I breathe. I had a caffè freddo con panna or cold coffee with cream at a cafè called Bar Due Ponti. I love the windows at the back of this shop.


        This was sitting on Ponte Vecchio, omitting the scores of tourists overlooking the views from this old icon of Florence. The second story with windows is Vasari's Corridor. I witnessed scores of students taking group pictures on this particular location. A gentleman tried chatting me up in Italian. His incessant chatter became quite tiresome after a while when my sketch turned out lopsided.



          Sitting on Ponte Trinità and sketching Ponte Vecchio. It is probably one of the most popular site for taking great photos of this old bridge, with its three solid arches and goldsmith shops occupying both sides. There were even people rowing in the river. It was a beautiful day, though it was pleasant for the first half hour, I started having to endure the sun rays and the cold wind. So I was quite glad when the time came for me to have coffee with a new friend - one of the artists sitting near Ponte Vecchio peddling his works.

 04.05.2012


       The peripheral of Basilica di Santa Maria Novella, facing Piazza dell'Unità Italiana. Adorned in alternate green and white bands of marbles and making a right angle with the gothic façade. I was sitting on the bench sketching, again, another elderly gentleman sat next to me and started chatting to me in Italian. I could probably make out about 5% of what he was saying, most of it by guessing. He was pleasant, taking a rest after a long day of work. He works for a newspaper, probably editorial board. He wanted to ask for my number to go for coffee sometimes, but it was not difficult to say no by pretending not to understand his invitation. I wouldn't mind having coffee with him really. I just didn't want to give my number to a stranger.

05.05.2012


       I sketched this while having my first apertivo or aperitif in Italy. For a glass of wine for 5 euros, you can help yourself to a buffet of finger food ranging from bite size panini to bruschette, chips and olives. From this cafè, I had a great view of the Capelle Medici. There was a nice slant of the evening sun rays, but I started too dark and there was no allowance to include the light and shadow.
I shared the table with an American couple. Incidentally, this particular cafè is very popular with American tourists. There was a table next to me where a group of Americans were discussing about their art. 

06.05.2012

 

      I had yet to set foot in Rome, not to mention the Vatican City, so this sketch of St. Peter's square is really from a travel magazine I found. I liked the perspective of the photo and used black pen for the first time. I decided to head outdoors to continue my sketch given that it was such a beautiful sunny day. I found an empty bench outside the Uffizi and sat there to finish it up before heading for a lunch appointment. Just when I finished and taking a photograph, a policeman walked up. He was curious about my sketches and gave me his compliments. Great that sketching on a bench isn't illegal!


            My lunch appointment was with the owner of this charming old shop. It spells Enoteca, or a shop where wine is sold. It is not only a Enoteca but selling all odds and ends, from sandwiches to olive chopping boards to Pinocchio! The owner, Michele has become a friend now and was introduced to me by my flatmate Yuko on my first day in Florence. I decided to attempt sketching his shop and giving him in return for his generosity. It was also the first time I had pasta made by an Italian. Simply just olive oil, garlic, chilli flakes, spaghetti and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese! I stood in the drizzle for this sketch, but had to complete it at home and presented it Michele on my next visit.


      That's Michele preparing a pane in his charming little shop. Open 7 days a week!


Yuko and me in Michele's shop

07.05.2012


           This is the workshop of Professor Agostino Dessì. During my first week of wandering around in Florence, I chanced upon his charming shop at Via Faenza. It was enchanting with all the masks hanging form the ceiling and the walls.
https://www.facebook.com/abracadabra.firenze?ref=ts&fref=ts
http://www.alicemasks.com/home.htm


         I went back again the second day, there was a young man Andrea at the workshop. Agostino and Andrea were having a discussion on the mask that Andrea was making. They had different opinions about whether a black lining should be drawn in the indentation made in the leather. They asked for my opinion and when I said yes, Agostino invited me to draw the lining. Andrea handed me an apron. That was how I got acquainted with the two gentlemen. Agostino had an event in his gallery that very evening and invited me along. That's Andrea at work in Agostino's workshop. 


         I presented the sketch of his shop to Agostino and he gave me a pair of earrings which are mini-masks in return of good favour. What a pleasant surprise and what refine workmanship!

          
08.05.2012

        I love capturing the perception of looking down a long stretch of road. There is a vanishing point and the view of both sides getting narrower as it moves further away from us. I also love arches, which is a recurring feature in Renaissance architecture.


        This magnificent arch is situated at Piazza della Repubblica, the entire structure in a sand colour. The first picture is of the original sketch but my black ink has ran out and I had to finish the sketch in blue ink. The second picture is an edited version. I met a very pleasant girl Dana working at a gelateria and she selected this sketch. So I presented her with a blue-black sketch.

        This structure houses a grand post office with luxurious pink marble pillars along the walkway. Honestly, who will mind waiting for his turn at the post office sitting amidst such grandeur?


            On the ceiling of the entrance, we are greeted with coloured terracotta of different symbolic creatures. They are allegories of speedy delivery.


10.05.2012


        After several sketches, I finally had the courage to attempt Florence's most famous landmark Il Duomo and Giotto's Campanile. Duomo means the main cathedral and campanile means bell tower in Italian. It took me 3 to 4 hours of intense labour to try capturing every detail of its magnificent marble façade. I presented this to my flatmate Satomi as she was moving to another apartment and got a kiss from her. We had so much fun together despite the language barrier.

          
         Here's Satomi and me, at one of the authentic Ramen places in Florence. We were holding glasses of shoju and sake (I think). We had too many that evening. Beware of that restaurant though. Much as I enjoy the food, I feel it's a place for Italian guys to go check out Japanese girls!

14.05.2012


         This was another attempt at the Duomo from another perspective. Not very pleased with the final result as Brunelleschi's dome seemed out of proportion, like one segment missing. The whole sketch also appeared too dark, as if covered in patina. That is the term used for the phenomenon where objects tend to darken with age. Well, this portion of the Duomo is covered with patina and undergoing restoration, but it wasn't my intention to make it so dark. I presented this to Megumi, another of my Japanese flatmate who was interning at the gelateria where Dana is working.


          After two intensive sketches of the Duomo, I was quite relaxed sketching the unadorned façade of this church - Chiesa di Santa Spirito, which means Church of the Holy Spirit. Situated at Piazza Santa Spirito, which is a lovely little Piazza with many charming cafès. It is much quieter compared to other piazzas, I guess not many tourists come here. My favourite cafè is Volume, with some hot baristas and lovely ambiance. Most importantly, it has free Wifi and caffè expresso only 80 cents euros. It is very close where I am having lessons at a restoration workshop. I usually have lunch at this Piazza. This is the first time I included human beings in my sketch. I wanted to show the proportions of the church. Anyway, this is a typical scene during lunch time, where people sit on the steps of the square to have their lunch.


           That's the interior of Volume cafe, a place with awesome music, affordable caffè expresso and they change the art on their walls periodically. Another aspect I like of it, there an English version of the art collection in Galleria degli Uffizi. They serve awesome apertivo too!

16.05.2012


          Once again showing my obsession of arches and porticoes. This is seen from the tourist centre in Florence, near to the main train station and next to Basilica di Santa Maria Novella. It is part of the baptistery, but protected behind a glass wall, out of bounds to the public. I was fascinated by the different designs covering the edge of the arches. This sketch was presented to Roxana, a girl with Dana and Megumi whom I met on the same day at the gelateria. We took some crazy photos together at the gelateria. Roxana, Megumi and Dana posing with my sketches.


19.05.2010


           This is the marble façade of Basilica di Santa Maria Novella, facing one of the loveliest squares in Florence, Piazza di Santa Maria Novella. The peripheral gates were sketched on 04.05.2012. This church is flanked by two Piazzas - Piazza Santa Maria Novella and Piazza dell'Unità Italiana.. Piazza di Santa Maria Novella is lovely especially in the evenings, but I rarely stopped to admire it's beauty until in the company of vivacious Anna, whom I got acquainted with in September 2012. On her last night in Florence, together with two other new friends Taka and Chinwe, we made a fool of ourselves there. But who cares about making the fool, we had fun, didn't bring harm to anyone, and that's what matters!



         
           I think Taka and Anna looked like they are use to modelling. Perhaps they are!! They look natural while trying every sexy pose.


               Here's another perspective of Basilica di Santa Spirito. I like the geometry of the angle where the church has a triple step and the afternoon sun makes sharp shadows on the walls.

22.05.2012


          Palazzo Vecchio or meaning old palace is one of the most magnificent palaces in Florence. It sits in my favourite piazza - Piazza della Signoria with many sculptures of Greek mythology. It also has a replica of Michelangelo's David in marble. I didn't get to admire it's full glory by going into the museum till September.

       The piazza has so many sculptures of men with the perfect human anatomy, naked and adorned with muscles on every inch of their body that we call it "Butt Square". However that's not the reason why it's my favourite piazza. It's the atmosphere. The entire space is just saturated with Greek mythology that influenced the Romans so much. It is very lovely at night, especially with street artists playing lovely music that just seem to resonate within the premise of the piazza. It is hard not to fall in love here. Place checked. Atmosphere checked. At that time, the most important element was still missing. I fulfilled my fantasy of kissing in the most beautiful piazza, under the starry night, with the music of Giuseppe Verdi in the background many months after this sketch was made.

24.05.2012 


            Chiesa di San Gaetano lies in the path where I walk towards Santa Spirito. What first struck me was the sun rays falling on it. I told myself I have to return to do a sketch of it. The amount of details was astounding. But that was during my first week in Florence when I was still not used to the Renaissance architecture that practically makes Florence an outdoor museum. Anyway, I went back to it and spent some arduous time trying to capture all the details. Not very pleased with the final result as I was not able to include lighting and shadow. The whole sketch appeared so flat. But I completed it and had to rush for my train to Rome. 

            This concludes my first month of sketching Florence!  If I can have a life sketching and cooking around Italy, it will surely be a dream come true. The beauty of Italy, all the wonders she has to offer - cuisine, culture, language, people. One life is not enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment