Thursday, October 11, 2012

FLORENCE - a song in my Heart!

          Back to Florence after some adventures in a big city. Florence is like a little home and whenever I disembarked and see the train station of Santa Maria Novella, I always have a little song in my heart. Oh Florence, do you reciprocate my feelings? Are you glad to have me back too?

           It is not possible to feel bored in Florence. There are so many beautiful places, one will never run out of things to do or see.  And some places are not enough just to go once.  

     
           This is a portion of a wall viewed from outside of the Ceramics museum in Giardino di Bòboli. I think I was mistaken that it was part of Porta Romana. What I love about it is the bricks with the creeping plants growing on and around it. I just love plants on walls. I sketched this on the spot, overlooking the Tuscany landscape, under a nice afternoon sun and gentle breeze. It is one of my favourite so far. It was the first time I used a fine tip ball point, so I was able to include some fine features of the all bricks and leaves.


          This is a staircase in Giardino della Rosa in Piazza Michelangelo. Yes, in this piazza you see the copper replica of David, standing there so resolute over the times.  The staircase is very pretty with grass and flowers on both sides. It is here also that I first see an artichoke plant - rather than the bulbs in the supermarket.


            Located near the Piazza is also the church of San Miniato. This is probably the highest point in Florence, where one can admire the panoramic view of the city. The church is free to enter, and has very different interior compared to other churches I visited. It has got wooden scaffolding for the ceiling and every panel painted.


               The first time I walked along Via de' Cerratani and the Duomo loomed into view, it really took my breath away. It's like you are approaching a huge gentle giant. So capturing this view in sketch is mandatory for me. The people on the streets are way much more than this, although perhaps this is true in the early mornings. An expert will tell you standing on the streets will not give you such a perspective. Well, one expert did ask me if I was flying above the ground when I did this.  It's impossible to stand for hours to sketch this. I'd be run over or just get rooted to the ground at the end of everything. I took a picture and cropped it so that the road I was standing on wasn't so long before it reached my main objects. Joanne wanted to buy this sketch, but it's difficult to collect money from friends. So I sent this along with the Piazza di Spagna off to her.


            I wanted the Basilica di San Giovanni to be the main focus here. And tried to see if I can catch the gist of the Duomo façade with just simple strokes. San Giovanni or Saint John the Baptist is the patron saint of Florence. This Baptistery has witnessed the baptisms of many geniuses that Tuscany produced like Dante. I sent this to dad as a Father's Day gift along with a card but it got lost in post! Italian side or Singaporean side? Is it possible I wrote the wrong address after decades of staying in that address??? -_-|||


          Another view of Basilica di Santa Maria Novella, this time the side view of the stone walls facing Piazza dell'Unità Italiana. It's a common sight for me, waiting for the bus to get home at Via degli Avelli. 


             This is a typical alley in Florence, stone cobbled streets,  narrow alleyway with buildings on both sides. Yet it is still possible for Florentines to navigate through these alleys in cars! Beautiful cobbled streets they are, but they are a torture to a lady in stilettos. Once is enough for me... I will not sacrifice my feet or my stilettos in the name of vanity again!



No comments:

Post a Comment