Friday, October 12, 2012

FLORENCE - once more



26.09.2012

                 September is a month of changes. I got into a relationship, I made some new decisions and I met many interesting people. I made some new friends, Anna, Taka and Chinwe. In September, I said hi to Anna and Chinwe. In September, I said bye to Anna and Chinwe. Dear dear Chinwe. She made Florence in the month of September a little more than heaven for me and we really bonded. I'm not sure why this seems to be the only picture we took together in the month we spent together. It's not the best of us, I was having some fun with her plaits and we were fooling around with Anna and Taka in Piazza Santa Maria Novella.  Chinwe or "Chi Chi" brought me so much laughter in September and we shared so much together. The best I could offer her as a farewell gift is my lifelong friendship and a sketch of the Duomo from the Oblate.



         This sketch of the Duomo and Campanile was a great view from the Oblate. http://www.bibliotecadelleoblate.it/
                  It is the public library with a really nice environment. My first official visit to it was to study my Italian, but needless to say, I got seduced by the view and got this instead. It took me 2.5 hours to complete the sketch.

17.09.2012


                 The Basilica di Santa Croce, or the Baptistery of the Holy Cross from the grand cloister. The sides of the stone wall, showing slightly the Gothic marble façade. Not so sure what you call those things sticking up. Spires? Well then two of the spires are shown from this side.  It is the burial place of the most illustrious Italians - Dante, Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, just to name a few. Also known as Temple of the Italian Glories (Tempio dell'Itale Glorie).
                  
                    Dom and I visited it in mid September, but I only had time to catch up with it now. The frescoes and sculptures in this church is amazing. I have run out of adjectives to describe my every visit to a church or museum. It just never fails to awe me, no matter how many times I see a fresco or a sculpture.


September/October 2012

           Gosh, I have never heard of people complaining about travelling. At least not when they are travelling for pleasure. But it had been such a crazy few weeks and lagging behind with my work I can't wait to get back to "routine" life in Florence and start working my ass off.

           But nothing, no matter how much work I have will stop me from pursuing my passion. So here's returning my sketchbook and pen on Florence once again.


            This is my second attempt of doing a full page of my sketchbook 21 x 29.7cm, of one of my favourite sites in Florence: on Ponte Vecchio. I tried to capture the folds in the fabric on the canopies outside the shops and as usual portray people in silhouettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment