Monday, March 18, 2013

Art Classes - Creativity shouldn't be taught. Only techniques.

First and foremost Happy 2013! I haven't meant to let such a thick layer of dust to collect on this blog, but many things had been happening all at once (great things) and I had to try to link them with sketches for updates. 


My first attempt to use a pencil for the whole sketch. I started right after Christmas of 2012, but never quite completed it. It is a wall that is part of the Roman ruins in Rome. Also the spot I lost my second pair of sunglasses in Italy. I used the sketching set that was a gift from lovely Melissa to encourage me to try different techniques.

My new term started rather confusingly. I had completed my 3 months summer course in Art Restoration and it was an intensive schedule. So I was expecting this one year course to be more or less the same, but I was wrong! Not informed till the last minute, I was quite confused when I received the timetable for the new term. Painting classes once a week? Hmm, ok, if it's included in the course and I do not have to pay extra (which seems the latest trend) why not? I mean art restoration require also knowing the techniques and process, which are essential for an all-rounded art conservator wannabe.

However, I am only expecting these classes to enhance my art restoration skills. Not having to purchase the whole palette of oil colours, scalpel, watercolour, canvas, entire sets of paintbrushes, cult pens, pastels. For once a week lessons. When I have the money and time to spare, yes. I'd definitely be interested.

Anyway, though the teacher is a "simpatico" elderly gentleman or in Italian means likeable and pleasant, I was rather disturbed for several months with this impromptu "Art Classes". Number one point, I am cheap. I do not wish to have to purchase a whole lot of materials for this less than one year and for perhaps just a few times use. I need to prioritize my funds. Which is why I chose to sketch leisurely by the way. Just paper and pen to take with me everywhere and that's it. So you can expect I wasn't that motivated. But I was obliged to go, and so decided to take things in my own hands. Since I like to sketch, why can't I request sketching lessons from the teacher?

Professor Simpatico was very nice of course and allowed me to do what I liked, but HIS way. My sketches had been all along self-taught. Previously lacking perspectives, light and shadow, but one feature is common. I tend to include all the minute details in the architecture. That was my objective when I started to sketch anyway. To "concur" the building is to know its every feature through sketching. Anyway, Professor wanted me to learn to sketch in just 5-10 min. That means, just an impression to capture the basic features that identifies that particular building. 


Here's after several attempts of Piazza della Signoria and Palazzo Vecchio. I repeated it so many times and with lots of disapproval from Professor and this finally. He showed me by demonstrating how to do this part and that part of the sketch and for many times, I just stared blankly at the paper, not knowing how to start. Having used my left-brain almost my entire life until now, art classes are one of the most difficult classes ever!! After attending several, I have this feeling that art lessons curb creativity. Or are our ideas of "how to draw" too deeply imprinted in our adults minds, that we paint with my brain, not my eyes. 

Anyhow, I often felt that descriptions of contemporary art often do not make sense. The person viewing often have to understand the process of the artist's mind before understanding the art. So art classes do not make sense to me. Unless I am being taught a technique. How to properly handle a brush, how to do glazing, how to apply varnish etc. Else, I often stare at the piece of paper, trying to connect what the teacher just said with my hand movements. After that, the person should be left on their own to be creative. Creativity should not be taught.


Another attempt at impression sketching on Ponte Vecchio. I did this under 30 minutes as compared to the previous one I did in several hours. I tried. I still prefer to capture all the detailed features. As one of my friend Laura told me when I first started sketching "Chloe, don't let others tell you how to sketch. Do it your own way".

No comments:

Post a Comment