Thursday, December 20, 2012

Markets in Florence

          There are several market places in Florence that I get to pass through frequently. 


                Starting from Piazza di Madonna degli Aldobrandini, towards the Medici Chapel, here's the view of Basilica di San Lorenzo from under the tentages of San Lorenzo market set up around it's premises. Though they look like temporary tentages set up like the local basar malam (meaning "night market" in the Malay language) back in Singapore, the prices of Italian leather goods are not "basar malam" kind of prices at all. 
      

           Here's the facade of the Basilica, when we follow the market till it leads us to another square - Piazza San Lorenzo in front of the Basilica.

           Apart from getting a pair of leather gloves and bringing friends who visited Florence to the market, I seldom stopped to look too long at the wares that are sold. I've looked yes, several times tempted to get that summer hat, or the fashionable scarf, or that cool leather bag, but I think I have learned to differentiate stuff that are essential to have from stuff that are nice to have. Well, besides going back to the frugal life of a student, I prefer to prioritize my finances for visiting museums and traveling. I am also learning how to be more mobile - two luggage is all I am limiting my possessions to. 



          Here's another marketplace - Loggia del Mercato Nuovo, or meaning "new market". This name is to distinguish it from "Mercato Vecchio" or "old market" previously located at today's Piazza della Repubblica. Unfortunately, the glory of Mercato Vecchio" can only be seen from the paintings. Leather goods and souvenirs can be found in this loggia and at the other side, a famous statue of a bronze boar is placed. Its snot is gleaming due to all the rubbing from the visitors as it is believe to bring good luck. People also place a coin in its mouth and if it slops down into the "wishing well" at the bottom of it, it's a sign of good luck as the coin do not always land into the water below.

            I was more fascinated by the columns, capitals and arches when I first saw it. That was before I realize those are the common features in Roman architecture found all throughout Florence. Nevertheless the loggia, and the complicated branching of arches from all four direction at the top of the columns post as an interesting perspective.

          

No comments:

Post a Comment